Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Case of....

This morning has just been an a disaster of epic proportions!
First, I wake up in a cold sweat at 4:30, no idea why since the ac is on 64.  Next, I decide to clean out my fridge and flush some leftovers down the toilet. I know what you're thinking...Who does that? It's a habit, perhaps it's the green/neat freak in me.  I hate keeping trash in the apt past a day (only if it's food) and therefore I feel as tough flushing it down the toilet helps me cut down the amount of my trash output, hence minimizing waste! Anyway, enough sidetracking and back to the story. So I flush leftovers down the toilet and naturally it results in a clog...and as mother nature would have it, within 10 minutes I need to use the bathroom! Now this wouldn't be so catastrophic if I owned a plunger, but guess what, I don't own a plunger! Maintenance requests take at least a day and my digestive track is showing no signs of mercy! With high hopes, I race down to the doorman, and high hopes alright because he had a plunger!!!  I try to race upstairs, but as luck would have it the elevator gets stuck.  Fast forwards 15 minutes, because that's how long it took to get the elevator up and running, toilet is unclogged, bathroom situation appeased, coffee brewing...things are picking up...or are they?  I'm trying to print out 5 years of financial statements to complete a class project when my printer decides to die on me!!!! I just got this printer 7 months ago!!!!  After spending 45 minutes trying to resurrect this useless piece of technology, here I am coffee in hand and all I can think about is making truffle brownies! Or should I reconsider, given my track record this morning?


If I do, I'll post pics and the recipe soon, but for now I'll leave you with last nights dinner -- spaghetti with roasted tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil and prosciutto, with a side of roasted carrots! I picked up some beautiful cherry tomatoes and basil at the farmers market and there's nothing I love more than roasted tomatoes!  So I decided to roast some tomatoes and carrots, because I love how the tomato juices run while roasting and combine with the earthy sweetness of carrots!


Roasted Tomato-Basil Spaghetti


Tomatoes
Spaghetti
Basil
Garlic
Olive Oil
Butter
Salt & Pepper
Carrots (optional)
Parmesan Cheese


Combine the carrots and tomatoes on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper (makes cleaning so much easier). Drizzle with EVOO and salt and pepper for seasoning.  Roast at 350, for about 45 minutes.  Remove and let cool. I like to roast the tomatoes and let them cool for about 2 hours so they retain their shape and don't break apart in the hot spaghetti.  Once cool, separate the carrots and tomatoes.


Boil spaghetti until tender. In a skillet sauté some garlic in olive oil and butter until golden. Add spaghetti and toss until the spaghetti is covered evenly.  Add in the roasted tomatoes and heat for about 5 minutes and salt and pepper according to taste.  Remove from heat and prior to serving mix in chopped prosciutto and top with fresh basil.


Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment