Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wintery Delight

I woke up this morning craving the winter air -- savoring the artificial warmth in the air from the radiator, the warmth of the sun on your face, escaping the sting of the winter air resting on the opposite pane of glass.  Even though I am a summer girl, I love the feeling of winter. Maybe it's because all the holidays (rosh hashana, navratri, Diwali, Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas, MY BIRTHDAY..the list is endless)  or maybe its just an excuse to eat. More! 


It's no secret your appetite increases during the winter, maybe because your body just needs to churn that extra mile to keep you warm or maybe it's a mind game...the thought of fitting into a bikini flips a silent switch which makes you gravitate towards light airy salads rather than a hearty bowl of pasta.


Anyway, I sense of winter send through me the most content, delightful warm fuzzy feeling and a smirk I could feel stretched out ear to ear...but it all vanished the instant I took off my eye mask. The cold sting has instantaneously morphed into a discomforting muggy swamp. It just ignited the urge to crawl back into bed a thousand times more but eventually I surrendered but only after my fav winter breakfast - vanilla spiced oatmeal w/ carmalized bananas!!!!


Vanilla Spiced Oatmeal w/ Carmalized Bananas
1.5 cups Oatmeal
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups low fat milk (I prefer to cook my oats in milk rather than water. I find it add a more creamier wholesome texture, just what your body craves during those cold months) (REDUCE THE AMOUNT IF USING INSTANT OATS)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
pinch of nutmeg & cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/4 cup walnuts
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 Banana


In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and salt to a boil. Stir in the oats and raisins, reduce the heat to low and simmer while stirring occasionally for  5 minutes. In the meantime, place nuts, if using, in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside. 


In the same pan melt a little butter and brown sugar adding diced banana and cook on medium-low heat until caramelized.


When the oats are cooked remove pan from the flame and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Swirl in the banana mixture and place the oatmeal in serving bowls and top with toasted nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Dab on a little extra milk & brown sugar on top if you desire a sweeter runnier oatmeal!


Bon Appetite! 

1 comment:

  1. that sounds absolutely delicious!! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete