Thursday, July 22, 2010

Is it Dinner Time Yet???

Thursday's are looonnggggg. And you know they're long when it's only 10 AM and you're already thinking and planning dinner!!!!  I've been up since 5 AM, on my own accord, but I have to babysit my Philly cutie-pie today!  It's a very special day, not only do I see him after 2 weeks and be marveled by all the growing up he's done, but he is also turns a whole number in age today. HAPPY VERY FIRST BIRTHDAY LITTLE MONKEY!!!!  So this is what I have planned for us:


Breakfast - cantaloup & a birthday waffle (per mommy)
Playtime - play out back and maybe some reading
Nap
Lunch - (yogurt with pureed carrots or squash)
Pool
and if ok with his mom, bake some bday cupcakes!!!!


Speaking of birthdays, I also have to wish my very dear and "generous" friend Dido a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I won't reveal his age but let's just say he doesn't look a day past 13 ;-)   (((frosting points!!)))


***
So what's for dinner???
I'm thinking a lovely salad and a spinach-goat cheese quiche!  That was supposed to be dinner yesterday, but exhaustion had other plans.  Hopefully after babysitting and bikram I can still muster up the energy tonight!  


Spinach-Goat Cheese Quiche
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium size yellow onion
4 garlic cloves (I <3 garlic, 2 if you're not a garlic lover)
2 large eggs
1 egg white
1.5 cups reduced fat milk
1 small log goat cheese or any cheese of your liking (parm or Fontina work really well too!)
1 bag spinach
Parmesan Cheese
salt & pepper


Preparation:
Pre-heat the oven at 400 degrees and a medium skillet over medium heat. I use a non-stick pie dish but if you're using a regular pie dish spray the dish with olive oil. In the skillet, sauté onions until translucent, add garlic, spinach, salt and pepper. Sauté until spinach is quasi-wilted, we'll let the rest bake off in the oven.  In a mixing bowl or food processor combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, 1/3 of the goat cheese and puree thoroughly.  I like to make sure the goat cheese gets chopped up and blends evenly with the eggs.  Add the egg mixture to the pie dish and stir in the sautéed onion, garlic & spinach. Take the remaining goat cheese and break off into little pieces and spread throughout the mixture. I love biting into little pockets of melted goat cheese! It's so tart and creamy, I'm salivating already! I'll top with a bit of grated parmesan and a drizzle of EVOO( I love the way it melts and sets into a delicious brown crust) and bake in the over for about 35 minutes and voila you have a delicious dinner and if you're not feeding a small group, possible leftovers for lunch the next day!


Pictures to follow!!!


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment